Part of my family is heading to Disney World in a couple weeks. Because I’m in the group going, I can’t seem to stay away from the Disney stuff. That means I’ve been avidly reading the Disney Food Blog. Disney and food are two of my favorite things.
The other day, I ran across this review of a new sandwich found in Animal Kingdom. I knew I had to try to create this! Of course, I have no idea what it tastes like, other than the way it is described in the post. Maybe I’ll get to sample the real deal while I’m there, so I can compare my version and Disney’s.
However, I have to say that the review was a great inspiration. My version turned out full of flavor and tender. My family loved it too. And the fact that it uses the slow cooker is a bonus. There’s just enough spice to make it interesting and give the meat a lot of flavor, yet it’s not burn-your-tongue hot.
African Pulled Beef Sandwiches in the Slow Cooker with Yogurt-Mint Sauce
- 2-3 lb. chuck roast
- 3-5 cloves garlic 1 whole and peeled, others crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalepeno seeds removed and diced
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
For the sauce
- 10 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 large cucumber peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp. dried mint
- Pita bread
- Cut one garlic clove in half and rub roast all over with it.
- Place roast and whole garlic clove in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for sauce) to the slow cooker, sprinkling spices directly on meat.
- Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Remove meat from crock and shred with a fork.
- Return meat to the crock and stir to combine with juices from cooking the meat.
- Stir yogurt, cucumber and mint together.
- Serve meat in pita bread with yogurt sauce.