You know how Thanksgiving is more about the sides than the turkey? Well, this is one dish you are going to want as part of the feast.
Creamed Sweet Pea Casserole is similar to green bean casserole, only it has a creamy, homemade sauce. And it’s chock full of sweet peas. Specifically, Libby’s Sweet Peas. (Don’t miss the Cansgiving Sweepstakes below!)
I love simple, frugal recipes like this one. It rings in at about .60 cents per serving. It’s easy to put together and there’s a good chance you have all the ingredients in your pantry.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamed Sweet Pea Casserole:
The steps are as easy as making white sauce with chicken broth as the base. Sour cream gets stirred into the sauce, making it extra creamy.
Fold the sweet peas into the sauce.
All of this deliciousness gets poured into a greased casserole dish. Finally, sprinkle french fried onions on top. They give great flavor to the peas and crunch to every bite.
Serves: 8 servings
- 1½ Tbs. butter
- 1½ Tbs. flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅛ tsp. onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans Libby's Sweet Peas, drained
- 2.8 oz french fried onions
- In a large skillet, melt the butter.
- Stir in the flour to form a paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, cooking over medium heat until the sauce comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Fold in the peas.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Top with french fried onions.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, till hot and bubbly.
Libby’s is giving away 10 $350 electronic gift cards! You can have a chance to win by posting a photo of what you are thankful for on Twitter, Instagram or Libby’s Facebook page using the hashtag #Cansgiving. Find more information and all the details by going here.
Disclosure: Libby’s has supplied me with product and compensated me for my time, however all opinions are my own.