This side dish is so easy and it’s a great way to use up the vegetables in your fridge. You can use just about any vegetable you want, although I do recommend sticking with tomatoes. They add some juice that creates its own dressing.
The ingredients in this are super simple. It’s really more method than recipe.
I made this on a night that we needed to pack our dinner for a soccer game. The green beans needed to be used, but we weren’t going to be home to eat them hot. I blanched the beans, added the tomatoes, threw on a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar.
I think the tomatoes would be great paired with broccoli or cauliflower or zucchini or yellow squash. You can add fresh herbs too, if you’ve got them.
Here’s what you’ll need:
The red wine vinegar didn’t make it into the photo. It’s optional though. You can skip it if you want.
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- splash of red wine vinegar
- Blanch the green beans by adding them to a pot of already boiling water.
- Let them cook in the boiling water 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Drain the green beans and pour them into the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain again and add to the salad bowl.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and add a splash of red wine vinegar.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.
- This recipe holds well in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
P.S. Want to save $60 and 2 hours each week on grocery shopping? Click here.