I absolutely love Asian inspired dishes, and have been experimenting with several different recipes lately. I recently made a spicy bourbon chicken that I thought was amazing…but the rest of my crowd, not so much. My family does not do spicy! So, the next time I had a craving for Chinese, I decided to skip the spice and see if I could create something my kids would eat. I had some pineapple in the fridge, which gave me inspiration for this Pineapple Chicken. It is sweet with the brown sugar and pineapple, but deliciously flavorful with hints of ginger and the saltiness of the tamari (gluten free soy sauce).
I topped mine with sesame seeds, green onions, and red pepper flakes, and served it over brown rice. We had an Asian chopped salad as a side, which is quickly made from a bagged salad kit (which I have found WalMart and Sam’s Club).
I am pleased to report that my girls loved it!! (My son is 5 and only eats chicken in the form of a nugget! I’m praying for the day he outgrows this.) I am super excited that I can add this to our regular rotation so I can get my Chinese food fix, and it is easy to spice up my individual portion so everyone is happy!
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts - cut into bite size chunks
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Approx. 1 cup pineapple, tidbits or small chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Tamari
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 T. ketchup
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 1 T. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. powdered ginger
- Crushed red pepper flakes or sriracha (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove chicken from pan and add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved.
- Add chicken back into pan with sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes uncovered.
KimM is a contributing writer for Eat at Home. She lives in North Carolina with her husband, three children, and 2 fur babies. She blogs about her kitchen adventures at Makin’ it Mo’Betta. You can also follow on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.