I made this Key Lime Mousse for my book club and it was a huge hit. It has the perfect amount of tart from the key lime juice and the perfect amount of creaminess from the whipped cream.
This is a make ahead recipe since it needs to be refrigerated for 8 hours before serving. I think that makes it the perfect party dessert. Simply whip it up in the morning then forget about it until it is time to serve. That leaves plenty of time for whatever else you need to get done during the day.
Please don’t substitute regular lime juice in this recipe. You can find key lime juice on the same shelf as the regular lime juice in the grocery store. Key lime juice is actually more sour than regular lime juice. Since you’ll be adding a whole can of sweetened condensed milk to the recipe, you need the extra sour flavor to get that “pucker” lime lovers love.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milke
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 1/2 cups whipped cream
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup key lime juice to small saucepan. Turn to low heat and stir constantly until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle gelatin packet over 2 tablespoons key lime juice. Stir, then allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Add hot mixture to gelatin mixture. Stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Whisk in sweetened condensed milk and lime rind.
- Place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice. Whisk until mixture is partially set.
- Fold whipped cream into lime mixture. Pour into serving dishes and chill for 8 hours before serving
The number of servings you will get from this recipe is dependent on the size of your serving dishes. I used small punch cups that held about 1/2 cup mousse.
Andrea has been married to Peter for 20 years, and together they have two teenage daughters. You can also find her and her whole food recipes at The Greenbacks Gal where she finds organic deals, green steals and cooks real food meals.