Please don’t let the sauerkraut deter you from trying this recipe. It is so good!
The chicken turns out moist and flavorful. And the sauerkraut is quite as kraut-y or sour as it can be in other dishes.
I used chicken thighs with bones. Bone-in chicken isn’t as convenient as boneless, but it pays off with much better flavor.
This recipe is adapted from an old cookbook I have called Country Gourmet. In that version, the chicken bakes in an oven. I like using the slow cooker though, so I can do all the prep early in the day and have it ready to eat later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this:
I did not use that entire package of chicken. It was 5 pounds total, so I used about half and froze the rest for later.
- 32 oz jar sauerkraut
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled
- 2.5 - 3 lbs. chicken thighs or other cut
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the sauerkraut and drain. Give it a squeeze with your hands to remove extra water.
- Place kraut in the crockpot that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add red pepper and rosemary and stir into the kraut.
- Place chicken over kraut.
- Mix lemon juice and olive oil. Brush on chicken, using all of the lemon juice/olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.