Last week, we talked about packing food to eat on the sidelines. Or in the car. Whatever works, right?
But there are times when packing just isn’t going to happen. When you didn’t make a plan, didn’t have time to think about it, forgot to look at the calendar (please tell me I’m not the only one!).
You still have to eat, but it doesn’t have to be drive-thru. Here are some grocery store meal ideas. Print this list and keep it in your purse or glove box of your car. It will only take a couple minutes to run into the store and grab dinner.
Don’t miss the tips below that will help this plan run smoothly. With most of these meal ideas, you will have leftovers that you can take home and eat later.
The French Picnic
- French or Italian bread from bakery
- Sliced cheese (Swiss, cheddar, Colby etc.) and deli meat, if you like
- Baby carrots
- Fresh fruit – grapes, apples, nectarines, strawberries etc.
The Healthy Hippy
- Tortillas or pita pockets
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Bag salad
- Fresh fruit
Let each person make a wrap or sandwich. Have fruit for dessert.
Breakfast for Dinner
- Whole grain bagels
- Flavored cream cheese
- Yogurt – try Greek for extra protein
- Fresh fruit
Savory Bagel Meal
- Whole grain, onion or everything bagels
- Cream cheese
- Red pepper, salad mix, sprouts
- Deli meat, if you like
- Fresh fruit or carrots
- Deli meat
- Sliced cheese
- Fresh fruit, baby carrots etc.
A few tips:
- Put a bag of paper plates, napkins, plastic cups, plastic forks/spoons and a knife in your car so it’s there when you need it.
- If you didn’t pack picnic paraphernalia, you might find napkins, spoons and forks in the grocery deli area.
- Get in the habit of putting a big thermos of water in your car. Even if you didn’t get your picnic packed before the game or practice, you can probably manage a gallon of water.
- If you forgot the water, swing through a drive-thru and request cups of ice water. Most likely, you’ll be charged a small amount for each cup, but it’s much less than buying soft drinks.
- Use the water you packed or acquired in the drive-thru to rinse fresh fruit.
- If it’s really hot outside, try buying a bag of frozen, cut fruit to eat.
Do you have other ideas for grocery store meals?