Does anything round out a meal as well as cornbread? Maybe it’s just my Kentucky roots. (My mom’s family is from Kentucky, so I can claim that.) Or the fact that we’ve lived here for 20 years.
Or maybe cornbread just really does round out a meal better than most anything else.
Usually, I make Southern Cornbread or Cheddar Muffins or sometimes, Hoe Cakes. This time I wanted a muffin without the cheddar. And I wanted a little sweetness. (I actually put a bit of sugar in the cornbread. Like a Northerner!)
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Stir the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Stir the sugar into the melted butter.
- Add the egg and milk.
- Pour this into the dry ingredients and stir, just to combine.
- Divide into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
How often do you eat cornbread at your house?