This soup has a lot of things going for it.
It can be made entirely in the slow cooker.
The chicken cooks in the soup, so no need for an extra step.
Just like taco soup, there are a million variations. Use what you’ve got available in your pantry.
Here’s what I used:
I also used an onion, which didn’t make it into the photo.
Here are a few variations:
- use both red and green peppers, or just a green pepper
- use a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
- use canned corn, instead of frozen
- use kidney beans or red beans
- skip the rice
- skip the chicken and use a variety of beans to make it meatless
- top with cheddar, Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
It will turn out different every time, but they will all be good!
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Soup – with variations to fit your pantry
- 4-5 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 16 oz frozen corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup rice
- Place all ingredients, except rice in slow cooker.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Add rice 1-2 hours before serving.