I put this recipe in the slow cooker on a Sunday morning before church. I’m always happy when the crockpot is filled and I know we’ve got something to eat when we get in from church. For more after church dinner ideas, see this post.
I think I mentioned in yesterday’s post that we have a new Costco in town. The last time I was in there, I bought a 20 pound bag of baking potatoes. Yep. That’s a lot of potatoes. It was a great price though!
Needless to say, I’ve been trying to use up some of those potatoes. My boys prefer meals with some meat, versus just having baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese. So I came up with this King Ranch Chicken idea.
King Ranch Chicken is a casserole. There are a million ways to make it, but this slow cooker recipe gets the gist of it. The only thing missing is corn tortillas. The potatoes are filling in for the tortillas.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken over Baked Potatoes
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders or boneless breast
- 2 cans any type cream soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- baked potatoes 1 for each person
- Put all ingredients, except potatoes and cheese in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and chop or shred.
- Put chicken back in crockpot.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese.
- Serve King Ranch Chicken over baked potatoes, topped with cheese.