I adore Reuben sandwiches but I’m terrible at making them myself. I always end up losing half the sandwich contents when trying to flip them. I had just about accepted that they’d be an eating-out-only treat when my husband mentioned that his Mom used to make them in calzone form.
Reubens as a calzone?
It totally eliminates the everything-is-going-to-fall-out issue. It’s also easier to feed a crowd this way, since you don’t have to juggle multiple sandwiches at once.
Any recipe that calls for just 5 ingredients is an automatic short cut for cheaters. And this recipe will freeze really well, if you want to stock your freezer and bake it another night!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Yes, only five ingredients! It’s a great in-a-pinch dinner because you can pick up all the ingredients on the way home, go through the express lane and be home cooking in no time.
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 1/2 lb. deli-sliced corned beef
- 8 oz. sauerkraut
- 1/4 lb. deli-sliced swiss cheese
- Thousand Island dressing for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide the ball of pizza dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough into a rectangle approximately 8"x14".
- Top with half of the corned beef, half of the sauerkraut and half of the swiss cheese.
- Roll from the long side, pinching the dough together to seal. Make sure to pinch the ends together too. Place seam-side down on a lined baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with Thousand Island dressing for dipping.
Kate is a home cook living and working in New Jersey. In addition to sharing recipes with Eat at Home readers, she blogs her cooking adventures at Kate’s Recipe Box. When she’s not in the kitchen, you can find her reading or tending to her garden.
I will have to make this for my husband – it is his favorite dish!
At what point do you freeze?
Freeze it assembled, but not baked.
When I originallү commenteɗ I ckicked thhe “Notify me when new comments are added”checkbox annd
noա each time a comment is addeԁ I get four emails
wih the same comment. Is there any way yoս ccan remove me from
that service? Many thanks!
Sorry about that. You should be able to click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of those emails.