This recipe is for Uncle Larry.
It’s meat. Not chicken. Not pasta. Meat.
To quote Uncle Larry, who reads this blog regularly, “I don’t want any of that %*#@ chicken or *%#* pasta. Gimme some meat.”
I may have paraphrased him just a bit, but you get the essence of what he said. Now just imagine it being said by a very tall man with a deep voice. The kind of man who cuts down his neighbors trees under the cloak of darkness and sends three-legged dogs to Michigan (2 true stories that we don’t have time for now).
But don’t let his gruff exterior fool you. The man is a sweet heart, but he’s serious about his meat!
I’m pretty sure Uncle Larry will like this recipe and you will too. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- 1½ lbs. round steak, skirt steak or other cut
- 6 oz pepperoni (I used turkey peperoni)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- provolone cheese slices
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Stir other ingredients together (except cheese and buns) and pour over meat.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Shred meat with a fork.
- Serve on buns topped with cheese slices.
- Serves 8-10
In case you’re a meat lover too or you’re just tired of that #%*@ chicken, here are some other recipes you might like: