When ALDI asked me if I would review their new cast iron cookware, I jumped at the chance. New cookware is always fun!
They sent a big box of all kinds of fun things. These Special Buy items will be available in ALDI stores in November. If you’ve ever wanted some cast iron cookware, get yourself to an ALDI store! These are great deals and the cookware is wonderful too.
I used the grill pan to make grilled cheese sandwiches. Fancy, I know. But the pan is great! The sandwiches turned out panini-like. It would be wonderful for steak. There’s no seasoning required for the cast iron pans.
And I loved the Dutch Oven. There’s so much you can use this particular piece for. Soups, stews, roasts, whole chickens and more. It’s a fantastic piece of cookware to own and this is the best deal I’ve ever seen anywhere.
Here’s a list of some of the Special Buy items that are available soon:
- Kitchen Living Two Speed Hand Blender, $19.99 – Special Buy beginning 11/13
- Kitchen Living 6 Qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven, $29.99 – Special Buy beginning 11/20
- Kitchen Living Cast Iron Grill, $14.99 – Special Buy beginning 11/20
- Kitchen Living Cast Iron Frying Pan, $14.99 – Special Buy beginning 11/20
- Kitchen Living Heat Resistant Glove or Oven Mitt (2), $4.99 – Special Buy beginning 11/20
- Kitchen Living Cast Iron Trivet, $4.99 – Special Buy beginning 11/20
I knew I wanted to create a new recipe using the cast iron enameled dutch oven. My youngest daughter and I hit our local ALDI store looking for recipe inspiration.
I think I’ve shared before that I sometimes create recipes by standing at the pantry and surveying the items until I come up with a new way to combine them. Well, that’s exactly what I did at ALDI. It was so fun!
We hit the meat department first, where I picked up a whole chicken. Then we wandered the aisles, looking for ingredients to add to the chicken. My first thought was rice, but as soon as I spied the refrigerated tortellini I knew we would be doing a take on an Italian dish.
I found artichoke hearts, extra virgin olive oil and diced tomatoes. We picked up Parmesan cheese in the dairy case and garlic cloves in the produce aisle.
And this turned out to be one of the best meals I’ve ever made. It’s really easy too! It all gets made in one pot, so there’s not a lot of clean up. I’ve found that the enameled interior of the Dutch Oven is really easy to clean. It looks like you’re going to have to scrub hard, but it’s a breeze to clean.
Here’s what you’ll need to make One Pot Roast Chicken & Tortellini:
One Pot Roast Chicken and Tortellini – Made in ALDI New Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 cans 15 oz each diced tomatoes, undrained
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs. Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 packages 9oz each refrigerated tortellini
- Parmesan cheese shredded to garnish
- Heat olive oil in dutch oven on the stove top over medium heat.
- Add crushed garlic cloves and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Put chicken in pot, breast side down. Brown for about 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and let the other side brown.
- Add diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, water, seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours - 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven.
- Add tortellini to the pot, using a spoon to submerge the pasta under the broth.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes, covered.
- Remove chicken from pot and carve.
- Serve chicken with tortellini, artichokes and tomatoes.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
Disclosure: I received a box of ALDI products and was compensated for my time. All opinions are my own.