Grilled pizza is one of my favorite summer meals. It’s easy, involves almost no planning and it’s super quick. The first time I tried this I was thinking, there’s no way this is going to work! But it works and it works really well.
The ingredients for grilled pizza are the same as you’d use for a traditional pizza:
I like to prep everything inside and lay it out on a cutting board to take outside. This seems to keep things contained a little better, and it’s easier than carrying a million things back and forth to the kitchen. It’s also a great idea to have everything prepped before you start – these cook quickly!
In a nutshell, you plop your dough onto the preheated grill. When the bottom is firm and has grill lines (after about a minute on the grill), you flip it over.
Then you add your toppings and shut the lid to let the cheese melt. In less than five mintues, you’ll have a great pizza!
We prefer to make these personal-sized. It’s easier to work with a smaller pizza on the grill and it allows for everyone to top it as they prefer, but you could also do a bigger pizza if you’re feeling ambitious! It’s a great, easy summer meal.
Easy Grilled Pizza
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- Garlic powder to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 12 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
- Your favorite pizza toppings
- Non-stick grill spray
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Divide pizza dough into four equal balls and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Generously spray grill grates with non-stick spray. Place pizza dough directly on the grill grates.
- After about a minute, when the bottom of the pizza is solid and is beginning to get grill lines, flip the dough over with a spatula. Top with tomato sauce, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, mozzarella cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
- Close the lid of the grill to melt the cheese. After about three minutes, the cheese should be melted and the pizza cooked through. Remove from the grill grates with a spatula.
- Let sit for a few minutes to let the cheese set before serving.