Oh goodness! This one is a winner.
The boy people (and man person, too) who live in this house really loved this meal. It was a fight-over-the-leftovers kind of love.
I don’t blame them either. I loved it too.
Generally, I’m against taking time to brown meat before tossing it in the slow cooker. But in a few cases, it’s a step not to be skipped. This is one of those cases. It only takes a few extra minutes and the results are so worth the effort.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Cube Steaks and Gravy in the Slow Cooker
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dry ground mustard
- 2 lbs. cube steak
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 packet brown gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- Stir flour, salt, garlic powder and ground mustard together in a bowl.
- Dredge cube steaks in flour.
- Brown in skillet in vegetable oil.
- Remove and place steaks in crockpot.
- Add onion to skillet and cook a few minutes.
- Stir gravy mix and water together. Pour into skillet, scraping up the browned bits.
- Pour gravy and onions over meat in crockpot.
- Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 5-6 hours.