This Chicken Barley Soup is pure comfort soup in a bowl. Made with ingredients you most likely have on hand, it comes together quickly on a cold winter’s night.
Since this quick and healthy recipe makes about 8 servings, I love to make it at the beginning of the week so I can have leftovers to put in thermoses for lunches.
Why barley instead of noodles? Barley is much higher in fiber, which means your family will stay fuller longer. I’m pretty sure there is nothing worse than preparing a meal for my family, only to have them hit me up for a snack an hour later. If I’ve gone through the effort of preparing a meal – I want it to satisfy!
Chicken Barley Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 16 oz package frozen vegetables
- 3/4 cup barley
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in barley. Cover, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook an additional 45 minutes, or until barley is cooked. Serve immediately.
Andrea has been married to Peter for 20 years, and together they have two teenage daughters. You can also find her at The Greenbacks Gal where she finds organic deals, green steals and cooks real food meals.