Earlier this week I shared lots of recipes for making use of rotisserie chicken. Here’s another one for you. If you keep cooked chicken in your freezer, you’ll be able to make this recipe in about 20 minutes. All the ingredients are pantry items that we tend to keep on hand.
The recipe comes together quickly. You’ll make a quick white sauce and add cheese to it. I love an easy meal that also is homemade.
Cheddar cheese and tomatoes with green chilies help make this dish full of flavor. My kids loved this one and so did I.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
Cheesy Chicken Chili Mac – Make it Quick with Rotisserie Chicken and Macaroni
- 1 lb. macaroni
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 Tbs. flour
- 3 cups milk warmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz can tomatoes with green chilies drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While that cooks, melt butter in large skillet.
- Add onion and cook 3-5 minutes until onion is soft.
- Whisk in flour, making a smooth paste.
- Gradually whisk in milk until it's all combined and smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until it comes to a low boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain macaroni and return it to the pan it was cooked in.
- Pour sauce into macaroni and add tomatoes and green chilies and chicken.
- Stir to combine and serve.