I love pasta for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that pasta makes a quick meal. And it’s extremely versatile. For this dish, I used angel hair. It cooks in just a couple of minutes.
Some friends gave us a bunch of tomatoes from their garden. Now that’s a great gift! But they needed to be used soon. Pairing them with pasta made perfect sense.
I also had a pound of bacon in the fridge, some white wine and fresh basil in the garden. My original thought was to make this pasta dish. It also has bacon, tomatoes and basil, but it requires more Parmesan cheese than I had on hand.
So I decided to do a lighter sauce, with no half & half and no Parmesan. We had just enough cheese to garnish, so it worked out great.
And this is a quick meal. Especially if you already have the bacon cooked. I needed to cook mine, but I still had it made in about 20 minutes.
I usually cook the bacon in the oven. Not only is it easier and less messy, it allows me to do other things while it cooks versus stand at the skillet and get popped with hot grease.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Bacon, Tomato and Basil Pasta – 20 minute meal
- 1 lb. angel hair pasta
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- several ladles full of pasta cooking water
- 6 chopped tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh basil chopped
- 1 lb. cooked bacon chopped
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Cook the pasta according to the directions.
- Cook garlic in the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add white wine and cook for several more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle out some of the pasta cooking water and set aside to use.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Pour garlic and wine mixture into pasta.
- Add tomatoes, basil and bacon.
- Add extra pasta cooking water, if needed to make pasta moist.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.