There’s something about the warm weather that suddenly makes me feel like I’m living on some gorgeous, tropical island. As soon as summer hits, Caribbean-inspired meals end up making it into our dinner rotation a lot more often. Usually, this means lots of grilling – but some days the convenience of the slow cooker just wins out.
This dish is inspired by a lunch we had on vacation in Honduras a few years ago. The combo of spicy jerk chicken paired with the cool cucumber mango salsa is perfect for summer. And, it couldn’t be easier. The chicken can be prepped in about five minutes before I walk out the door for work and the salsa only takes another ten minutes or so when I get home – which means more time to get outside and enjoy the summer sun!
- 2 lbs. chicken
- 16 oz. jerk marinade
- 1 mango
- 1 cucumber
- 1-2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rolls, for serving
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Pour jerk marinade over chicken. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Peel and dice the mango. Dice the cucumber. Toss together with lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When chicken is cooked, remove to a cutting board and shred. If you want it extra spicy, stir 2-4 Tbsp. of the remaining marinade into the shredded chicken.
- Serve shredded chicken on rolls, topped with cucumber mango salsa.
We’re sharing 100 days of summer slow cooker meals. This is day 2. Keep your kitchen cool – don’t miss a single recipe. Subscribe to the email list.
Kate is a home cook living and working in New Jersey. In addition to sharing recipes with Eat at Home readers, she blogs her cooking adventures at Kate’s Recipe Box. When she’s not in the kitchen, you can find her reading or tending to her garden.