The inspiration for these came from a Dairy Queen run the other week. We went for ice cream, but while we were there I noticed a sign advertising apple bbq hamburgers. I’m not sure what those are like, but it started my mind thinking about the combination of apple and bbq.
I like to keep things simple, so this is what I came up with. Three ingredients give a sweet, smokey flavor to the pork chops. You could use the sauce on chicken or burgers too.
And you could choose to grill the meat, cook it in the oven or use the slow cooker. I chose the oven, only because I ran out of time for the slow cooker and it was way too hot outside to grill (triple digits – whew!).
Serves: 6-8 servings
- ½ cup apple jelly
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke, optional
- 3 lbs. pork chops
- salt and pepper
- Warm the apple jelly in the microwave, just to melt it a bit.
- Stir apple jelly and bbq sauce together.
- Add liquid smoke, if using it.
- Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper.
- Cook on grill, basting with sauce. Or pour sauce over and bake covered at 350 degrees in the oven. Or place in slow cooker with sauce and cook on low 7-8 hours or high 5-6 hours.