(There’s a free Thanksgiving Menu eBook to download at the end of this post, but first I’ve got a delicious dinner recipe for you.)
I love a good bowl of comfort food. Don’t you? This is adapted from a recipe in an Amish cookbook I have. The rich broth is full of chicken, carrots, celery and easy drop dumplings. This is the first time I’ve made drop dumplings. I usually roll and cut them. We enjoyed this version. I’ll be making it again.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 boxes chicken broth (or 6 cans)
- 5-6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the vegetables and bring back to a boil.
Mix up the dumplings. Stir the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork. Stir in the milk to form a stiff dough. Drop by spoonfuls in the boiling chicken broth. Stir in the chicken and reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Last week I participated in a Virtual Progressive Thanksgiving Dinner. I wanted to share all the links with you again, in case you missed any. You’ll want to check out the Thanksgiving recipes and also browse around on these blogs. Be warned though – these bloggers have some delicious looking photos and recipes. You’re going to want to cook after looking at it all!
- Mustard-Crusted Turkey — by Shaina of Food For My Family
- Bread Stuffing with Seasonal Fruits & Herbs — by Aimee of Simple Bites
- Apples & Cranberries Baked in a Pumpkin — by me
- Ultimate Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – by Laura at Real Mom Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Brown-Sugared Baby Carrots — by Laura at Real Mom Kitchen
- Holiday Cranberry Salad — by Tara at Unsophisticook
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle – by Liz at Hoosier Homemade
Tara also put all of the recipes together in a fantastic (and free!) eBook for you to download. Happy Thanksgiving and happy cooking!