Chicken and Cheesy Rice Casserole

You know those nights where you stand gazing into the pantry or fridge wondering what to throw together for dinner? This casserole is often my answer. It’s not for a last minute meal, because it does have to bake, but the prep time is minimal.

Stop gazing into the pantry and pull out:

2-3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
about 1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup uncooked, long grain rice
2 cans chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
pepper

I baked 3 small chicken breasts and shredded them for this dish. I really like to have chicken already to go for casseroles in the freezer. You can also substitute canned chicken if you’re very short on time.

Place the chicken and cheese in a casserole dish and sprinkle the rice over it.

Stir the broth, soup and pepper together and pour over the top.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for an hour.

Comments

1. Moderate Sherri says:

Comfort food at its best!

2. Yumm! I could go for some of this right now!

3. And the cheese just goes on top?

Do you think this would work with brown rice? I’m thinking I would need to increase the liquid a little or maybe add to the baking time. What do you think?

4. Noah's Mommy says:

oh that looks good…and super easy…I had no idea what to make tonight…I think you’ve solved it for me…thank YOu

5. Jacob Duchaine says:

Just being honest, that doesn’t look good to me. My main issue is the upper picture. Something about it isn’t appetizing.

6. dongdong says:

sounds wonderful. This is something both my kids will like. One like mac-n-cheese and other like chicken. :)

7. As usual YUM!

8. Yes, I have those nights often! This looks yummy!

9. Brandy – the cheese kind of mixes in. I guess I put the cheese over the top of the rice then pour on the sauce. I didn’t say that in the post though. Sorry!

I have made it with brown rice and it’s good. You do have to increase the cooking time to about 1 1/2 hours.

Jacob – yeah, that picture isn’t the best and I almost didn’t post the recipe because of it. some things just aren’t very photogenic. But it does taste good, I promise!

10. I think it looks yummy!

11. Donna-FFW says:

This looks like the ultimate comfort food, and quick and easy also:)

12. Brittany Ann says:

Looks excellent. Think I’ll try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

13. Erin, Nick and Merrick says:

dry or cooked rice?

14. I make something very similar to this, but I like to throw in a pack of frozen mixed veggies. I’ll definitely be trying your recipe, it sounds better than mine!

15. I won’t be home in time to make this tonight, so I am making it right now. Because I am using brown rice, I am letting it soak some before cooking.

Can’t wait to eat it. Thank you for sharing it.

16. Erin, the rice is dry. Just plain long-grain rice.

17. Ryan Ashley Scott says:

Oh, man, this looks so easy and cheesy. Two of my favorite things.

18. This looks wonderful. I try to keep all those ingredients on hand so I could easily make this.

19. This sounds easy and good!!!

I got an email from Country Bob’s about doing a blog give away……..I was kind of excited……..and your two recipes featuring them made me curious….

20. Made this last night– very good, some of the rice on the top was still a little crunchy. Should have read the info on the cheese? Couldn’t figure it out- I put it on top, would have probably been better with the cheese mixed in but it was very good.

21. This is a lot like a recipe that I make:
    1 tub of sour cream
    1 family size can of Cream of chicken soup
    chicken cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
    about 8 slices of turkey bacon
    Parmesan cheese
    Rice
    Combine sour cream and soup in 9×13 pan. Slice turkey bacon into bite size pieces and brown in skillet. Add bacon to 9×13 pan. add cooked chicken pieces, stir until mixture is combined and top with Parmesan cheese. Cook on 350 for 45 min or top looks golden brown.
    Serve over rice.

I like your recipe too. I make it often! YUM!

22. I have this cooking in the oven right now!! very excited to try it… Thanks!

23. i think this looks amazing! i cant wait to make it tonight!
    i have to tell you though, i didnt have two cans of chicken broth, so i used a packet of ramen noodle chicken flavor and mixed it with water. i hope it turns out. i dont see why not! lol

24. Tinker Kell says:

We had this for dinner a few nights ago and enjoyed it. I used leftover chicken from a cooked chicken from BJ’s, and added some green Tabasco sauce for a little kick. I think I will use this recipe with some leftover turkey after Thanksgiving.

25. Trying this for dinner tonight. Your’s Looks so creamy and cheesey and yummy and GOOD!… Mine however, I made in a weird shaped (deep) casserole and its not lookin so hot… hopefully it comes around! I’ll have to let you know!

26. I made this last night for dinner and everyone really liked it. I love the simplicity of the preparation and ingredients and sat thinking of all the different things I could do to morph the recipe (not that it isn’t delicious as it is). I am looking forward to finding a way to add some mexican flair to the casserole. Yum!

27. Looks like YUMMY cheesy goodness to me :) Am definitely making this week! Thanks for the recipe. I know my boys will LOVE it as I’m sure my husband & I will too!

28. Anonymous says:

This was delish! Nothing but good ole comfort food. I finally found a good chicken and rice dish!

29. I am making this right now! I added a package of chopped spinach (thawed & squeezed dry) and 4 slices of chopped up cooked bacon. It smells delish! I stay at home with my 2 boys (3 &16 months) while my husband is on active duty so it was nice to find an easy chicken recipe that will provide several meals. Thanks!

30. I made this and it had a very good flavor but mine was extremely runny. Almost like a soup. Not sure what I did wrong but the next time I will cut the chicken broth back to just one can. Otherwise it had a great flavor and can’t wait to try it again.

• I also had the same issue. It thickened up more once cooled but was soupy during dinner. I made the mistake of using cooked rice (3 cups).

Tiffany: Can you edit your original recipe to ospecify the information about using dry, long grain rice ad adding the cheese after the layer of rice? That information would have been very helpful since I was making the recipe last minute nd didn’t have time to read all of the comments to get those details. The dish was therwise yummy and will make it gain with dry rice.

After the chicken layer I also added 1/2 cup corn (frozen), 1/2 cup chopped onions (sauteed in a little butter with 2 garlic cloves), and 1/2 of a zucchini cut in half lengthwize and sliced. Yum!

• Stephanie, I edited the post. Thanks for pointing that out. This is one of my oldest recipes from when I first started blogging. I had a lot to learn! One of these days I need to do an overhaul of these old, but good recipe posts. I love your additions to the recipe. Yum!

31. Has anyone tried freezing this casserole? If so would you bake it first?

• Kira, I’ve never tried freezing a casserole with rice in it. I’m not sure which would work better – freezing before or after. If you try it, let me know how it works.

32. Anonymous says:

I added 2-3 bay leaves and it was perfection

33. Becky Hubbard says:

This is probably a dumb question but I’m a bit new at cooking. Do you bake the chicken BEFORE you put it in the casserole and bake it for an hour together? Or is it raw chicken that you put on top and bake for the hour?

34. Lori Jeffries says:

I make this casserole with one difference. I cut up white bread and put the cubes on top. They become like little cheesy croutons. YUMMO. This is my son’s favorite casserole b/c there is absolutely nothing objectionable in it. ;-)

35. victoria says:

was the rice cooked?

36. Anonymous says:

you dont have to cook the rice before just put it all in the dish??

37. when do you add the rice?

• Jackie, sprinkle the dry rice over the chicken in the casserole dish. Then pour the sauce ingredients over the top of it and bake. Hope that helps.

38. I am making this as we speak. For my future reference (I have high hopes for this) a can of broth is 14.5 ounces. I usually make my own broth or make it using a jar of Better Than Bouillon.

39. Made this recipe tonight and it was absolutely delicious!! Remind me to double next time so that I can have seconds after my kids have demolished it lol

40. This was good – easy to throw together and even my ridiculously picky fiance enjoyed it. The only issue I had was probably my fault. I added frozen mixed veggies, thinking they would cook along with it, but ended up having the cook the whole thing an extra 45 minutes because the rice was still crunchy at an hour and again 20 mins later (I ended up covering it for the last 25). Next time I will try precooking the veggies and covering it from the beginning.

41. Did not see measurement for how much chicken? cup or pounds?

42. Trying this tonight & adding broccoli to it! Thanks!

43. Perfect! I cooked a pork roast the other day in my crock pot and was uninspired to do anything with it. I’m going to use that meat in this recipe! THANKS!!! :)

44. I’m thinking toss in a can of green beans and have a complete meal.

45. Do you use instant rice?

46. Can this be made in the crock pot?

• Bailee, rice in the crockpot is a little tricky. You can do it, but it comes out a little over cooked in places. I’ve tried it a few times, but I haven’t been able to do it right yet.

47. Klem Kadiddlehopper says:

And you give the cheese to the dog?

48. Does the rice cook itself when added to the casserole?

49. Pat Sloan says:

I just put this dish in the oven and had to refer back to the web site to find out what to do with the cheese, after reading all the feed backs I think I will put the lid on the dish to make sure it cook s all the way for the rice. Here’s hoping for a good dish .. Oh by the way I had boneless skinless breast and just cubed it and cooked it in some broth then added the rest of the broth and soup to the leftovers. Thank you for a very simple dish.. love it!!!!!!

50. Would instant rice work for this recipe do you know?

• Rachel, I think you would need less liquid and less cooking time. I’m not exactly sure how to adjust for that though. If you leave the cooking/liquids the same, I think the rice will overcook and be mushy.

51. Anonymous says:

I tried cooking twice, followed instructions to a T. Still doesn’t work. Rice is completely uncooked after 2 hrs and 15 minutes in the oven at 350. It is warm and bubbling but my long grained rice is not cooked and it is just soup. Anybody else?

52. Followed directions to the T. Rice still crunchy after about an hour and 20 minutes. Bummed. Now ordering pizza! ;(

1. [...] Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole, [...]

2. [...] I wanted one that I’d never made before.  After pondering for a while, I decided to alter Chicken and Cheesy Rice Casserole and give it an Italian spin.  Everyone liked it.  We had leftovers for lunch the next day and I [...]

3. [...] Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole, watermelon, veggie [...]

4. [...] chicken and rice casserole, rolls, veggie [...]

5. [...] – chicken and rice casserole, rolls, [...]

6. [...] and Spinach Stuffed Shells, salad Mediterranean Chicken in the Slow Cooker, angel hair pasta, salad Chicken and Cheesy Rice, favorite green veggie, salad Cranberry Nut [...]

7. [...] – chicken and cheesy rice casserole with [...]