Last weekend we had friends over for dinner and I made these baked beans. They were so good and easy. I combined ideas from several recipes books, including a church cookbook and the More with Less Cookbook. The result is a recipe that uses canned beans and cooks in the slow cooker. I wanted to use the slow cooker because baked beans taste best with a long cooking time, but I didn’t want to heat up the kitchen.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 bottle chili sauce
- 1 small onion or ½ large onion, diced (about ½-3/4 cup)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped or crumbled
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- The beans may be soupy when you first take the lid off, but will thicken up after a few minutes.
I did try this recipe again this past weekend when we had another family over for dinner. The store I shopped in didn’t have navy beans so I bought pinto beans. The recipe didn’t turn out nearly as good. The beans were much firmer and bigger and they never thickened up. The taste wasn’t as good either. I’ll stick with navy beans from now on.