This is a quick meal, except for the potato baking. But even that can be done in the microwave if you’re really pressed for time.
And there are a couple things you can do to make it even faster. Keep cooked ground beef in the freezer so it’s ready to go for recipes like this. You can also keep cooked bacon and onion in the freezer.
Or you can slow it down by putting the topping in the slow cooker until you’re ready for dinner.
Another bonus, this recipe is versatile. Vary the ingredients for what you have in your pantry. I don’t think you can mess this one up. Nearly anything goes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb. ground beef, cooked
- 1/2 cup onion and bacon, cooked
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can chili ready diced tomatoes
- baking potatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Place all the ingredients, except the potatoes and cheese in the slow cooker or heat them together on the stove.
- Top baked potatoes and sprinkle with shredded cheese, if desired.
You can substitute ingredients for what you have. Try regular diced tomatoes with a can of green chilis. Use any kind of canned beans. Skip the bacon. Cook the onion with the ground beef. Add chili powder or taco seasoning or salsa. Anything goes!