Wild rice salad is a quick and easy way to use leftover wild rice or brown rice.
I completely bombed a meal the other day. Multiple things went wrong, resulting in weird tasting chicken and a lot of leftover wild rice.
With no chicken to go with the rice, I decided to turn it into something else. We had a soccer game the next night, so this worked out great for our sideline picnic.
I adapted this recipe from an old cookbook I have, Country Gourmet Cookbook. This is one of those salads that is great for cleaning out the fridge though. All kinds of raw veggies can be added to the rice.
The dressing is a simple vinaigrette. This can be altered as well. The recipe called for lemon juice, but I decided red wine vinegar would be better. Use any type of vinegar or lemon juice you like or have on hand.
Here’s what I used. Change it up so it suits you.
I served this with diced rotisserie chicken added to make a complete meal. The leftovers held up well for lunch over the next several days.
Wild Rice (or brown rice) Salad – redeeming leftover rice
- 3-4 cups cooked wild or brown rice
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- Place rice, bell pepper, carrot, onion and corn in large bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Pour dressing over rice and vegetables, tossing to coat.