Have you ever made a recipe that you just weren’t sure about? Even while I was baking this, I didn’t know if it would be good or not. I had the idea to change up the recipe for Tuxedo Bars and I had a strawberry cake mix in the pantry. Chocolate and strawberries go together, right?
I asked about the cake on Facebook, just to see if others thought it sounded good. I also wanted to know what kind of icing to put on it. I couldn’t decide between chocolate, vanilla or strawberry. After reading all the opinions of readers on the EaH Facebook page, I decided to go with strawberry icing.
The result was marvelous! The fresh strawberry frosting really set off the cake and the mini chocolate chips gave it just enough chocolate flavor. This makes a 15×10 inch sheet cake, so it’s great for a crowd. But I think it would also freeze well, if you have more than you can eat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Because it starts with a cake mix, it’s a cinch to make.
And the icing is just as easy. For that you’ll need a few fresh strawberries.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cake with Strawberry Icing
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 pkg. instant strawberry creme pudding mix
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
For the icing
- 1 stick butter , softened
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries diced
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbs. of milk if needed
- Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips with and electric mixer till well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased 10x15 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Beat the butter with electric mixer.
- Add powdered sugar and beat.
- Add strawberries and vanilla.
- If needed to make the icing spreadable, add a bit of milk a teaspoon at a time.
- Spread icing on cake.
- Store in the refrigerator.