This is one of those recipes that you’ve probably seen before. It goes by different names – Holy Cow Cake, Butterfinger Cake etc. Most of the recipes I’ve seen use sweetened condensed milk.
I like to bump up the yum, by using a jar of hot fudge and a jar of caramel topping.
I made this for my 14 year old son’s birthday a few weeks ago. He likes to ask for labor-intensive cakes, but had somehow weasled two birthday cakes out of me this year. So, instead of making the Cannoli Cake he asked for, I made this.
He was happy, because how can you not be happy with chocolate cake infused with caramel and hot fudge? And I was happy because it’s super simple to make.
Here’s what you’ll need:
In addition to the ingredients in the photo, you’ll also need eggs and oil called for on the back of the cake mix package.
Hot Fudge and Caramel Chocolate Poke Cake
- 1 Devil's Food cake mix + ingredients to make cake
- 10 oz jar hot fudge topping
- 10 oz jar caramel topping
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1/2 cup toffee chips optional
- Bake cake according to package directions in a 9x13 pan.
- While the cake is still hot, poke holes in it with a chopstick or skewer. Make a lot of holes.
- Warm the hot fudge and caramel sauces in the microwave until they will pour easily (warming is more important for the fudge than the caramel).
- Pour the sauces over the cake, using a spoon to evenly spread the toppings.
- Cool cake completely.
- Frost with frozen whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with toffee chips.
- Store in fridge.
Kim of Mo'Betta says
This sounds pretty delicious! Definitely will have to keep this in my arsenal for family get-togethers!
The Better Baker says
Oh yeh! Yours looks amazingly wonderful. Love the addition of toffee bits. MMM! I’ve known it as “Better Than Sex” cake…I don’t know who came up with that inviting title, but it’s pretty funny that this has sooo many names huh? How lovely for your son’s birthday cake too!
missus wookie says
looks delicious – and when Princess looked over my shoulder she started suggesting when we could make one!
lately, i have been seeing so many poke cakes in the blogosphere and they all look delicious! i loveeee how you added fudge coz i am crazy for hot fudge 😉
Made this yesterday for a friend for her birthday….it was a HUGE hit…thanks so much – found it originally on Pinterest….amazingly good!! Thanks so much