Back-to-school time is upon us once again. The hustle and bustle of getting the kids out the door, looking presentable, with everything signed and packed, and a nutritious breakfast in their bellies is no easy task. Even if your kids don’t have to leave the house, or if you don’t have kids at all…breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Your body needs it to jump start the metabolism and get needed fuel to those brain cells. With that being said, it’s sometimes so much easier to grab a bowl of cereal, or a granola bar as we are running out the door. That’s where these freezer friendly waffles come in!
A healthy breakfast is just a few minutes away when you have a freezer stocked with homemade, whole grain waffles, that only need to be popped in the toaster. In just minutes you have a hot, filling breakfast. The kids will enjoy deciding what toppings to put on their waffles, while moms will love knowing they are getting whole grains, along with energy from natural sugars. Some topping ideas may be bananas and peanut butter, blueberries and walnuts (my favorite), chocolate chips (my kids’ favorite)…the possibilities are endless! You can even fold them and carry them with you for breakfast on the go. If your kids do like them plain, you could always add in some extra cinnamon, pumpkin or apple pie spice, or whatever they like. I like to think of waffles, pancakes, and muffins as a sort of “blank canvas” that you can design however you want!
Healthy Whole Grain Waffles – Freezer Friendly
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk cow's milk, almond milk, etc.
- 2 tablespoons oil*
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons honey could also use maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- *I like to use a combination of olive oil and canola oil or coconut oil.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Pour onto a greased waffle iron.
- Cook until steam is no longer coming from waffle iron.
- Eat immediately or cool and freeze.
- This made about 6 six-inch round waffles.
- To prepare from frozen: These can be microwaved, but for best texture I recommend cutting them in half (or fourths) and placing in the toaster until warm and crisp.
This recipe does not contain eggs, and could easily be made vegan.