Think chocolate covered cranberries in pie form! I found this recipe on the King Arthur Flour website, and I knew I had to try it.
The rich color of the cranberries makes a gorgeous presentation for the holidays! (and it would have been nice if I had remembered to take a picture before we starting hacking into it!) My family enjoyed this over Thanksgiving, and I feel sure it will make another appearance very soon.
The result is a very unique, very delicious pie! If you like sweet & tart, and fruit & chocolate combinations, then I recommend you give this a try. Even though it looks like a lot of steps, it came together very easily too!
Cranberry Fudge Pie
- 1 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs 9 whole crackers/1 pack
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup diced walnuts &/or pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 12- ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries 3 cups
- *You will have some cranberry sauce leftover
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For crust -
- Process crackers, sugar and melted butter in a food processor into crumbs.
- Press into bottom and up sides of a 9" pie pan.
- Bake crust for 7-8 minutes, until set but not browned. Set aside to cool.
- For filling -
- Place chocolate chips and cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat for approx 90 seconds.
- Stir mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Pour hot filling over cooled crust.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Refrigerate pie until ganache is firm (about 1-2 hours)
- For Topping -
- Bring sugar, salt & cranberry juice to a boil.
- Stir in dried cranberries and simmer about 5 mins.
- Add fresh or frozen cranberries (mine were frozen).
- Simmer for another 5-7 mins or until the berries begin to burst.
- Remove cranberries from heat, and chill.
- Once cranberries have chilled, spoon 1 1/2 cups cranberry sauce over the fudge/nut filling. Chill until ready to serve!
When not contributing here, Kim is Makin’ it Mo’Betta with 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 1 crazy life!