The other day we talked about getting healthy in January, but today we’re going to serve up a little more elf food. This is how my brain works. I want to be healthy, but I want fudge more. Oh the battle!
Anyway, this is the time of year for sweets, so we’re going with it.
It’s also the time of year for unexpected company and impromptu get togethers. This dessert is perfect to keep on hand for that. It can be made ahead of time. You can bring out the whole cake or just serve up pieces of it, saving the rest for another time. And there are several pretty ways that you can plate it to make it look even more special.
The best part is that it’s very easy to make. It’s really just an assembly process. But before we get to that, let’s talk about serving it.
This isn’t the best photo ever and I’m pretty sure you can make the plates look prettier than I did. Presentation isn’t my strong suit. But these four ideas are easy and pretty:
- Sift powdered sugar over red or black plates
- Sift cocoa powder over white plates
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes over white plates (my favorite)
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over white plates (obviously, I need help with this one!)
Making the dessert is simple. It’s just a matter of layering ice cream sandwiches, fudge, and crushed candy canes. Then you frost it with Cool Whip and more crushed candy canes for the top. Easy!
I make 3 layers of each item. Be generous with the fudge and candy canes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Candy Cane Fudge Ice Cream Sandwich Cake (a make ahead dessert)
- 12 ice cream sandwiches
- 6 candy canes crushed
- 10 - 12 oz hot fudge
- 8 oz Cool Whip thawed
- Place 4 ice cream sandwiches on large piece of foil.
- Spread fudge over the top.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes.
- Repeat layers until you have 3 complete layers.
- Frost with Cool Whip.
- Freeze 12-24 hours before serving.
- Store in the freezer.