We’re nearing the end of our series on 7 Habits for Eating at Home. Today’s habit is most important. ?You may be asking why this one is so much more important than all the time-saving tips we’ve been sharing. That’s because dinner may be about the food, but family dinner is very much about the conversation and connections made with each other around the dinner table at mealtime.
Habit #6 – Intentional Dinner Conversation
Eat at Home’s mission is to encourage families to cook and eat at home together so they can leverage dinnertime to build a strong family.
Building a strong family is what making family dinner a priority is all about. When we spend time together around the table, it strengthens our relationships to each other as we share food and good conversation. It’s a chance to slow down a minute, look each other in the eye, talk together and really listen to each other. And it’s a great time to check in with our spouse and kids and see how things are really going for them.
A lot of the conversation around the table happens naturally, but sometimes it’s really nice to have a jumping off point to get the conversations started. Having some predetermined conversation starters can be a great way to talk about things that don’t normally come up in conversation but that help us get to know our families better. Sometimes it’s a great way to share favorite memories, learn new things, and share a lot of laughs.
We created a list of 21 fun conversation starters you can use at dinner tonight. Don’t forget to download the free, printable version of the list too!
Dinner Conversation Starters
- Tell about one of your favorite teachers.
- If you could be real-life friends with a fictional character, who would you chose?
- Which do you think is more important – music or visual art?
- Would you ever want to be famous? Why or why not?
- What’s one subject they don’t teach in school that you wish they would.
- Name a place in your hometown that you’d like to visit, but never have. Make plans to go!
- If you had out-of-town guests coming to visit, what would you take them to see in your town?
- If you could instantly be good at one thing, what would it be?
- What’s your most important possession?
- What is your favorite part of the day?
- How much time do you think people should spend on the internet each day? How much time do you spend online each day?
- What’s your favorite thing to do online?
- Do you think it’s good to be bored sometimes?
- What’s your favorite thing to do when you’re bored?
- If it was possible to book a flight into outer space, would you go?
- What’s one daring thing you’d like to try? It doesn’t have to be something that’s daring for everyone, just daring for you.
- What’s one of your favorite smells?
- If you could bump into a famous person during the day tomorrow, who would you choose?
- Would you ever consider living in a historic time period (if time travel were possible)? Which one and why?
- Do you think it’s better to binge watch a tv show or have to wait on new episodes to be released?
- Do you like starting things more or finishing them?
Download the FREE printable version of this dinnertime conversation list here.
This post contains affiliate links. Your clicks and purchases help support this site at no extra cost to yourself!
If you’d rather have something that’s already made up, TableTopics makes tons of fun options to get conversations going. They have everything from conversation starters for couples to conversation starters for family reunions or girls night out! This one is especially for family dinners though, and looks like lots of fun! I love how they are all contained in sturdy little boxes too.
Healthy Habits for Eating at Home
If you are just joining us and would like to catch up on the other topics we’ve covered including topics planning meals around your calendar, quick and simple grocery shopping tips, stocking your freezer, the 15-minute meal and a collection of tools and tips for mastering time-saving cooking methods.
Sheila DelCharco says
What a great list of questions! Thanks for sharing!