Puppy Chow, Muddy Buddies…whatever you like to call it, is a yummy treat made up of cereal, chocolate (need I say more?!) and the variations are endless. I have several different versions on my blog, b/c we love it!
In seeing all the different cake mix recipes floating around, it got me to thinking….cake mix is good…but BROWNIE mix is even better (can I get an amen from all my chocoholics out there?) So I decided to play around with my Puppy Chow/Muddy Buddy recipe to incorporate…you guessed it, brownie mix!
Since my son and I are allergic to peanuts, I usually make this with a peanut butter replacement (like Sunbutter or Wowbutter ) but since Biscoff is my son’s most current favorite food obsession, I thought we would use that. If you haven’t tried Biscoff, I highly recommend it! I have to keep myself from just sitting down and eating it with a spoon. But don’t fret, all you die hard peanut butter lovers out there…this recipe would be fantabulous with peanut butter. **Side note: Biscoff comes in glass jars and I’ve been saving mine to use as storage jars. Just cut off label (it is shrink wrapped onto bottle, so no messy goo to get off), wash, and you are ready to go!
- 4 1/2 cups Chex (or store brand) cereal
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Biscoff (could also use any nut butter or PB replacement)
- 3/4 cup brownie mix (I used Dark Chocolate)
- Add ins (optional) - mini marshmallows, M&M candy, the possibilities are endless!
- Measure out cereal and place in a large bowl.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt your chocolate chips and Biscoff. (I start out with 30 seconds, stir, then heat in 15 second increments until melted.)
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over the cereal. Stir gently to coat.
- Add 3/4 cup brownie mix to a large ziploc bag, dump chocolate coated cereal into ziploc, and shake to coat.
- Spread brownie coated mixture on a large baking sheet to completely dry.
- Once cereal mix is dry (which only takes a few minutes), you can add anything you like to it (I used mini marshmallows and M&M's - but during the holidays, themed candies are fun to add) or you can leave the mix plain - b/c it is delicious all by itself!
Kim of Mo’Betta – 40 year old married mama of 3 – ages 11, 9, and 4. I started blogging as a way to journal my adventures in the kitchen as I learned to move away from the microwave and boxed meals to cooking ‘from scratch’. Most of my recipes are tailored to meet the needs of my food allergic son (nuts & eggs), diabetic husband, or my waistline! And don’t even get me started on how picky my kids’ taste buds are…