Baked potatoes and salad make a great dinner, but when you add homemade cheese sauce, broccoli and bacon it gets even better. This dinner will warm you up on a cold, winter night. It’s also frugal and healthy.
I’m not sure what was going on with this ingredient photo. The lighting and focus isn’t the best. And you might notice that there are no potatoes in the pic. Oh well. Must have been one of those days
- baking potatoes, scrubbed
- fresh broccoli
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Bake the potatoes until tender. I poke holes in them and wrap them in foil.
- Bake them at 400 degrees for an 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut the broccoli in florets and steam in a pan until tender-crisp.
- In a skillet, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute.
- Gradually whisk in the warm milk.
- Let it cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken a bit.
- Stir in the cheese, letting it melt into the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Split the baked potatoes open.
- Top with broccoli, bacon and cheese sauce.
- Eat up!
I want to wish my oldest daughter a very happy 18th birthday today!