I have to watch myself when I’m putting together a weekly menu, because I have a tendency to put lots of Mexican meals on the list. Mexican and Tex-Mex foods are just so good, but I try to only make the style meal once a week. My daughter likes to point out that Mexican people eat Mexican food every day. I can’t argue with that logic.
This dish is an easy week night supper. It’s healthy and budget friendly. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs. oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Saute the onion in oil.
- Stir in the spices and salt. Cook for a minute.
- Add the beans, rice, cheese, milk and then eggs. Mix to combine.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until the center is set.
- I used an iron skillet to bake mine. If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, you can transfer the casserole to a baking dish.
- Serve with salsa.
How often do you eat Mexican food?