I am so excited with how this Slow Cooker Bananas Foster Bread Pudding turned out!
Several years ago, we ate at ‘Ohana at the Polynesian Resort in Walt Disney World. They have a dessert there that is amazing. It’s warm bread pudding, topped with bananas foster sauce with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream over the top of it all. I love anything with bananas foster, so I knew I would love their bread pudding.
I think this turned out very close in taste to the original. Like I said, it has been a few years since I’ve eaten there but this does taste like I remember.
That’s one reason that I’m excited about this recipe. I always love anything that reminds me of Disney! Another reason to love this is that it’s so easy to make.
You can find the original recipe that ‘Ohana uses here. I not only changed it for the slow cooker, but I simplified it and, I think, made it even better.
Instead of using ‘Ohana breakfast bread, I used French bread. I still wanted the flavor of coconut and pineapple to come through (which comes from the breakfast bread in the original recipe). To accomplish this, I changed part of the milk out for coconut milk and used crushed pineapple, along with the juice.
Also, instead of buying rum and attempting to flambé it, I used rum extract. It’s simple and makes the sauce taste fantastic.
The other thing I’m very happy with in this recipe is the cook time. This one can cook on low for 6-8 hours. That sets it apart from many other slow cooker desserts, which have a much shorter cooking time.
The sauce does get cooked separately on the stove top, but it’s very quick to make.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
You can see that the ingredients are all common, pantry items. I bought the bread from the “day-old” rack in the grocery. It cost me all of 60 cents.
The bananas foster sauce ingredients are also simple:
Slow Cooker Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- 8 oz crushed pineapple
- about 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 loaf French bread cubed
For the Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1/2 tsp. rum extract
- 2 bananas sliced
- vanilla ice cream
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl.
- Whisk sugar into eggs.
- Pour coconut milk into liquid measuring cup. Stir to loosen it if it's very clumped. It doesn't need to be smooth though.
- Drain crushed pineapple juice into coconut milk. Add enough milk to bring the liquid measurement to 3 cups.
- Whisk milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Add salt, nutmeg and pineapple to egg mixture.
- Stir bread cubes into this so that the bread is coated thoroughly.
- Pour into slow cooker that you've sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
For the Sauce
- Place all ingredients, except rum extract and bananas into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add rum extract and sliced bananas.
- Serve warm bread pudding, topped with sauce and vanilla ice cream.
This is the 3rd recipe in our Slow Cooker Desserts series.
Mary niedoba says
These looks amazing! How big is the slow cooker you use?
Mine is a 6 quart, but I think it would fit in a 5.