Banana Bread is the very first recipe I ever shared on my site. I use the same recipe that my mom has used for years. It’s reliable, uses basic pantry ingredients and it’s easy to make.
The recipe hasn’t changed from my first post, but my photos and writing have. I’ve been writing here since October 2008. That’s a lot of years of practice.
Sometimes I think I’ve made every possible easy recipe under the sun. So today I decided to go back to the basics. The wonderful thing about basics is they ground you. These are the recipes that are full of memories. The basics are comfort foods.
It doesn’t get more basic or more comforting than Banana Bread.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening butter, margarine, crisco
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips optional
- Cream the sugar and shortening with a mixer.
- Add the eggs and bananas and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Pour into loaf pans that have been greased.
- Bake 50 minutes -1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Take the loaves out of the pan while they still hot.