Yes, you read that correctly…just 2 simple pantry items are all you need to make these light and tasty cupcakes. It’s nice to have a few simple recipes like this on hand for those sudden cravings or when you just need an easy dessert.
It’s also nice to have something that will satisfy a sweet tooth without totally blowing the “it’s almost bathing suit season” diet! I stumbled across this “recipe” (it’s hard to call mixing two ingredients together a recipe!) a couple of years ago when I was doing Weight Watchers. (The muffins are 1 point each, if I remember correctly.) The version I made called for a box of Angel Food Cake mix and a can of pie filling, but then a friend told me I could use the same cake mix with a can of crushed pineapple.
I had to give it a try! The result is a light and citrus-y dessert, and makes a great base for fresh fruit and whipped topping. This can also be made in a 9 x 13 baking dish or in a tube pan.
2-Ingredient Pineapple Cupcakes
- 1 box Angel Food Cake mix
- 1 20 ounce can Crushed Pineapple, in juice - do not drain
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the Angel Food Cake mix with the can of crushed pineapple (juice and all). Do not add the water called for on the back of cake mix.
- Pour into desired pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. For cupcakes, fill 2/3 full and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool in pan. Once cooled, run a knife along the sides of cupcakes and gently pull to remove from tins.
Also, be aware that once you mix the angel food cake with the pineapple, the mixture will get very fluffy! This is normal. The texture of the cupcakes will be that of Angel Food cake (sponge cake) and not that of traditional cake. I think I will try this with mandarin oranges next!
Kim M. is a contributing writer for Eat at Home, as well as the mom behind the mayhem at Makin’ it Mo’Betta. There you will find kid-friendly recipes, quick and easy meals, and many, many more desserts!