Lentils cost .98 a bag. I used about half the bag to make these tacos. I didn’t calculate the cost of making this recipe, which feeds 6 people, but it is low. A very rough estimate would be $4.00 total, so about 70 cents a serving. Not bad for something this healthy and good.
The home made Chili-Tomato sauce comes together quickly and makes these enchiladas taste extra special. The ingredients are all inexpensive and things that can be kept on hand. They can easily be vegetarian by not using the ground beef. I pulled the recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, More with Less.
A few years ago we were lucky to get to go to Walt Disney World on their free dining plan. We ate at the Whispering Canyon Cafe in the Wilderness Lodge one day for lunch and ordered Nachos. They were wonderful. Meaty, cheesy, just the right amount of spice. I set about to create a version to make at home and this is what I came up with. Not only are they delish, they are also easy and quick.
This is a great recipe! First of all, it tastes wonderful. Secondly, the ingredients can be changed up and substituted as needed. I’ve used pork sausage and ground turkey instead of the ground beef. I’ve used chicken broth instead of beef broth. Often, I find that I don’t have any tomatoes and green chilis and I throw in salsa instead. I’ve even used a can of chili beans in sauce instead of the kidney beans.
The recipe makes a very big batch of soup. It’s enough for my family of 6 to have two dinners and a lunch. Sometimes I put the leftovers in the crockpot to heat for our second day of soup. (A whole recipe is too much for the crockpot.) The soup freezes well too, if you want to save it for another time.
- Large package of hamburger 2 lbs. or so
- Large onion chopped
- 2 cans Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cans Corn drained (you could use frozen)
- 1 can Tomatoes with Green Chilis Rotelle
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 can Beef Broth
- 2 packages of Taco Seasoning
- 2-3 cups of Water
- Brown the meat and onion together. I like to rinse the hamburger under very hot water to get rid of the extra fat.
- Add in all the other ingredients and cook until it’s hot.
- Serve with cheddar cheese and corn chips or with corn bread.