My ears perked up when I heard someone mention a fried rice dish that involved ham and pineapple. Any recipe that involves cubed ham gets my attention right now, since I have so much in the freezer.
My family likes the ham/pineapple combo in recipes, but I admit that this sounded a little strange. But I was wrong. The fried rice was full of flavor and we licked the platter clean. No leftovers to fight over.
I based the recipe on Vietnam Fried Rice, but I used pineapple juice in addition to the soy sauce to season and flavor the dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce, plus extra to taste
- 20 oz can pineapple tidbits, drained and reserve juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Cook the onion and garlic in oil in a large skillet till soft.
- Add the ham, 2 Tbs. soy sauce, 1 Tbs. pineapple juice.
- Cook for several minutes till the ham is hot.
- Pour the eggs into the skillet and cook, stirring frequently.
- Add the peas and carrots and heat through.
- Stir in the drained pineapple.
- Add the cooked rice, stirring to combine.
- Add soy sauce, pineapple juice, salt and pepper to taste. I added about 2 Tbs. each of soy sauce and pineapple juice.