I love sweet potatoes. I usually just serve them baked as a side dish. If I’ve got more time, I like to make Sweet Potato Fries.
But this time, I decided to make them mashed. Or rather, smashed.
This is such an easy side dish to fix. And it’s a nice change from serving the potatoes baked.
It starts with baking the sweet spuds. I scrubbed them and put them in a foil lined pan, covering the whole pan with foil. This was faster than wrapping them individually. It made the final step easier too. Just whip the foil off the pan, instead of having to unwrap individual potatoes.
This is more method than recipe. Easy to fix. Easy to remember.
- 1/2 - 1 sweet potato per person
- 2-3 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/4 - 1/2 stick butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub the sweet potatoes.
- Place in foil lined baking pan and stick potatoes with a fork several times each.
- Cover with more foil.
- Bake 350 for 1 1/2 hours or until very tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Slice potatoes in half and scoop out the middles.
- Place in a bowl with brown sugar and butter.
- Smash and stir with a spoon until well combined.
You’ll also need butter and brown sugar in addition to the sweet potatoes.