Ever feel like your body just needs a ‘detox’? All the over-indulgence of the holidays (because they just seem to keep coming!), and you feel like your body is craving something healthy and nutritious? I know this happens to me frequently. Of course, I admit, I splurge a little to often!
This salad (which from what I have gathered, originated from Whole Foods, but I adapted this recipe) is not only super healthy, it is super delicious!
If you were to hand me a bunch of broccoli, cauliflower and kale on a plate, I would say “no, thank you” – but somehow, when they are all chopped up together with a little fruit and seeds and a very light dressing – it transforms them into a bowl full of goodness. A bowl of this salad also packs quite a nutritional punch, giving you a good dose of super foods!
- 2 broccoli crowns
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 small bunch kale (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup dried berries (cherries, cranberries, blueberries)
- ½ cup raisins
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or other mild flavored vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into florets.
- Cut the carrots into large chunks.
- Roughly chop the kale.
- In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the broccoli, cauliflower, kale and parsley until fine and add them to a large mixing bowl. (It will probably take more than one batch)
- Process the carrots and add to the bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the sunflower seeds, almonds, and dried fruit.
- Stir to combine.
- Add lemon juice, vinegar and syrup.
- Toss to coat.
- Taste, and add salt and/or pepper as needed.
Warning, this recipe does make a HUGE bowl of salad, but it keeps in the refrigerator for several days. With all the “bugs” floating around right now, I am happy to have a little immunity boosting salad in my fridge! If I could just get my kids to eat it….