I decided to change things up a bit for this week’s Real Life and Simple Weekly Meal Plans post. There’s still a sneak peek at this week’s meal plans at the bottom of this post. It’s full of freezer meals too, so you won’t want to miss it!
But I wanted to share 6 things I learned in August. I’m linking up with Chatting at the Sky. I’m a little late to the party, but we’ll call it fashionably late.
1. It’s possible to cook a whole pig in a sand pit.
Our neighbors at the beach dug a big pit and roasted a whole pig in it. It took 18 hours. They stuffed it full of vegetables and garlic and jalepenos. I really, really wanted to be over there when they unwrapped it, but I didn’t want to intrude. We don’t know them, they just happened to be in the beach house in front of ours.
In the picture, you can see the pig wrapped in foil and wire. They used the wire to lower it over the hot coals, then covered the whole pit with the plywood.
2. Kayaks and car top carriers strapped to the top of the van can make a mind-numbing thrum.
The set up was fairly quiet on the way to the beach (about a 12 hour drive), but the way home gave us trouble. Jim managed to quiet it after stopping several times the first hour of the trip. But the last hour or so was intensely loud. No matter what he did to fix it, the straps made so much noise. Eventually, he had to give up and we rode with the sound.
3. I can make a video and upload it to YouTube.
And turn off the comments there, because I’m insecure and don’t want people to leave mean things.
4. Hard drive crashes in the midst of trying to meet other demanding deadlines does not make for a happy time.
Actually, it makes for a melt down that I needed to repent from.
5. It’s possible to set a grill on fire while cooking chicken tenders.
I have no photo of it, because the flames were getting dangerously huge and the grill sits close to the house. I don’t think I’ll ever win a grilling competition!
6. If you put your hand in your pocket, horses think you have a treat for them.
At least these horse. They live across the road from a local restaurant. I think they may be used to treats.
Simple Weekly Meal Plans
Here’s a sneak peek at this week’s meal plans. When you join the Weekly Meal Plan list, you get the grocery list and printable recipes with side dishes included. You can find out more about how to get them for yourself by clicking here. Now, you get access to a whole month at a time! And September is our focus on stocking the freezer, including the week where you cook 7+ Slow Cooker Freezer Meals in just 1 hour!
Lemon Garlic Chicken* on the grill (use the marinade here)
Beef Nachos * (beef prepared like this)
Golden Chicken Enchiladas
Spicy Garlic Chicken Pizza
Smothered Steak and Onions
Coffee Toffee Ice Cream Pie
Slow Cooker Plan
1. Slow Cooker Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili
2. Honey Dijon Pork Chops and Apples in the Slow Cooker
3. Red Eye BBQ Ribs Slow Cooker Recipe
4. Garlic Chicken with More Garlic in the Crockpot
5. Crockpot Cantonese Sweet and Sour Chicken
6. Easy Crockpot Beef Fajitas
7. Mandarin Cheesecake Dessert (or “Salad” if you’re Southern)