Pumpkin and vanilla ice cream come together in this easy dessert!
It’s no secret that I love ice cream. So when I saw this recipe for Pumpkin Gingersnap Ice Cream Cake from Shutterbean, I wanted it. She used pumpkin and vanilla ice creams to make a loaf shaped cake with gingersnap crumbs in between the layers. (I love the buttery way she treated the cookie crumbs!) She also used pumpkin butter to up the flavor of the ice cream.
My first plan was to go with the Shutterbean recipe. But I decided to go with a pie shape instead. And I added salted caramel sauce too.
This would make a great dessert for Thanksgiving. Cold desserts don’t seem as heavy as other types of desserts for some reason. Even when they are decadently sweet and rich, like this one.
The other beauty of this pie is that it can be made ahead of time. That’s important, especially if you’re juggling a lot of other dishes for a big Thanksgiving dinner. It also means that leftovers don’t need to go to waste, because it will last a long time in the freezer.
Here’s what you’ll need:
That Blue Bell Spiced Pumpkin Pecan ice cream may be my new favorite! I need to stock up, since it’s a limited edition.
The method for this pie is so simple. Just be sure not to over bake the crust or it will be too hard.
Feel free to change it up however you like. Use different brands of cookies and/or ice cream. Try hot fudge sauce instead of the caramel. There’s no right or wrong here.
Serves: 1 9" pie
- 1½ cups finely crushed gingersnap cookies
- 6 Tbs. butter, melted
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin ice cream, softened
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce
- extra broken cookie pieces for the top, optional
- Stir first three ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour into pie plate and use your hands to press to form crust.
- Bake 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Cool before filling.
- Once the crust is cool, spread pumpkin ice cream in bottom of crust.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Spread vanilla ice cream over the top of the pumpkin and caramel.
- Drizzle more caramel sauce over the vanilla and top with broken gingersnaps.
- Freeze several hours until firm. Store in freezer.