Cheese tortellini, chicken, kale, tomatoes, garlic, onion – this soup is full of good stuff!
And it couldn’t be easier to make. Especially if you’ve got cooked chicken in the freezer ready to go.
I almost always have chicken frozen, that I’ve either cooked myself or used Costco rotisserie chicken. It’s such a time saver to have the meat ready to use. A quick minute or two in the microwave is all it takes to thaw it enough so it can be added to a soup or casserole.
Next week, I’ll have another post on using meat from a Costco rotisserie chicken (or your leftover turkey). There are so many ways to use chicken and turkey like this.
But for today, let’s talk about this soup. Here’s what you’ll need:
One of the great things about this soup is that the ingredients can all be kept on hand (with the exception of the kale), so that you’re always prepared for a good soup. If you’d rather, you can use spinach instead of kale.
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cans chicken broth (15oz - 16.9oz each)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cups kale, chopped
- 19 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping, optional
- Heat oil in large stock pot.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is transparent.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add kale, tortellini and chicken.
- Reduce heat and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add seasonings and serve.