I have a number of Sweet and Sour Chicken recipes on the blog. This one uses popcorn chicken along with a homemade sauce.
The sauce comes from this recipe, which is one of our all time favorite meals. It’s also a meal that makes me feel like I’ve really been cooking. And it makes the kitchen look like a lot of cooking has happened!
This 15 minute version is so much easier and faster. Admittedly, it isn’t quite as good as the all homemade version. But 15 minutes is easy to do on a plain, old weeknight.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 bag frozen popcorn chicken
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
- 3 Tbs. vinegar
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- Bake the popcorn chicken according to package directions.
- While the chicken bakes, cook the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil in a large skillet until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Mix up the sauce by combining the juice from the pineapple, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and cornstarch.
- Remove chicken from oven and add to skillet, along with pineapple chunks.
- Pour sauce into skillet, stirring to coat chicken and vegetables. Bring to a boil.
- Serve over hot rice.