Burgers are a summer staple in our house – they’re so easy and versatile that they make an appearance at least once a week on our dinner plans. But, there are always those nights when it’s so humid and sticky and gross that standing over the grill sounds like the worst idea ever. And when it’s like that outside, who really wants to turn on the stove and heat up inside?
These are the perfect burgers for nights like that.
The slow cooker won’t heat up the house, but you can still get a really great burger out of it. The trick? Making sure the patties aren’t sitting in their own grease. I roll up foil and make a mini grill-grate on the bottom of my slow cooker to boost them up just enough.
Then, I just lay my burger patties on top. I can fit four quarter-pound burgers in my four-quart slow cooker. If you want to cook more, just make a second layer of foil and stack them up.
You can use this method for any burgers you like. My favorite are a bacon cheeseburger variety – with the bacon mixed into the meat and the cheese buried inside. Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
Serves: 4 Burgers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1.5 oz. real bacon bits - about ¼ cup
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 oz block of cheddar, cut into 4 pieces
- Buns, for serving
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mix together the ground beef, bacon bits, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Divide mixture into four equal parts.
- Shape each section into two equal sized patties. Sandwich a cube of cheddar between them and press together to seal. Repeat until you have four cheddar-stuffed patties.
- Lay the burgers on foil grates in your slow cooker. Cook on high for 2½ - 3½ hours, checking for doneness in half-hour increments after 2 hours - mine are perfectly cooked in 3 hours, but depending on the size of your slow cooker, this may vary.
Kate is a home cook living and working in New Jersey. In addition to sharing recipes with Eat at Home readers, she blogs her cooking adventures at Kate’s Recipe Box. When she’s not in the kitchen, you can find her reading or tending to her garden.