You know how you can create a lot of outfits if you start with a few basic pieces and add in accessories?
You can do the same thing with food.
If you start with a skillet of chicken, onions, garlic and green pepper you can create all kinds of fantastic meals.
Accessorize with tomatoes, basil, oregano and parmesan and have Italian chicken over pasta.
Embellish with Greek seasoning and serve it in a pita.
Accent with white wine, cream cheese, chicken broth and serve it over steamed spinach.
The possibilities are endless! I’ve got several recipes ready to share that start with this skillet. This is going to be a series of sorts, but I’m not going to tie it to one day of the week or give it a specific ending date.
I love the idea of starting with a few simple ingredients and creating meals from there. And I’d love to hear your ideas too! This is the kind of thing that you can start with the basics and add what you find in your kitchen. No recipe needed.
Here’s what you’ll need for the Basic Chicken Skillet:
The green peppers can be optional, but I think they enhance almost any meal so I’ve kept them part of the basics.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken
- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop or slice chicken, according to your needs for your recipe.
- Heat oil in skillet and cook chicken until nearly done.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Finish cooking until chicken is cooked through and onion is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This is the start of many different types of meals. Add ingredients and seasonings to the skillet to create different recipes.