My original thought with this dessert was to make it into a “cake” like Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwich Cake or Candy Cane Fudge Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. But I wasn’t sure the cherries would make that process easy.
So this time, I made more of a trifle dessert instead. Only, I have no trifle bowl. I searched around in my cabinets and found this pretty cut glass bowl that I rarely use. I think I need to start getting it out and using it more often. It’s too pretty to leave in the cabinet all the time.
This dessert starts with ice cream sandwiches. You can use any type of dish you like to make it. Or even assemble it as individual servings in small glasses or jars. Either way, it makes a nice Valentine’s dessert.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 12 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 jar hot fudge sauce
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 8 oz Cool Whip, thawed
- chocolate sprinkles, optional
- Cut ice cream sandwiches in 8 pieces each.
- Place a layer of sandwich pieces in bottom of bowl or dish.
- Dollop 1/3 of the fudge over sandwiches.
- Top with 1/3 of the cherry pie filling.
- Repeat layers so there are 3 layers of each item.
- Frost with Cool Whip and sprinkles, if using them.
- Store in freezer until ready to serve.
- Allow to sit at room temperature a few minutes before serving for easier dipping.