We’re going back and forth between cookies and soup this week. On Tuesday, I told you about the new Hershey’s Spreads and I hinted at this recipe. Then yesterday, I shared Pineapple Chili with you. Today, I bring you the cookie recipe I teased you with on Tuesday. And tomorrow, I’ve got a brand new slow cooker soup for you.
As far as I’m concerned, we could go on switching between cookies and soup for a long time! They are two of my favorites.
My mom used to make thumbprint cookies every Christmas. She filled hers with green and pink icing. Pink, because the red food coloring never coaxed the color all the way to red. I love her thumbprint cookies. But for some reason, I’ve never made them myself.
When the Hershey’s Spreads came in the mail, I knew they would be perfect to fill thumbprint cookies. And because sweet is made even better by a little salty taste, I added a sprinkle of kosher salt to the tops. It makes them look extra special too.
Since I didn’t have the recipe, I called mom on the phone. She flipped through her pile of hand-written recipes to find it for me. I scribbled the recipe in pencil. It felt like old-fashioned times (you know, like 10 years ago, when we weren’t in the habit of searching up recipes online).
Here’s what you’ll need to make Salted Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1 jar Chocolate Hershey's Spreads
- small amount of kosher salt
- Stir flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla and flour to the bowl of the mixer and beat until well blended.
- Roll dough into balls.
- Beat egg whites with fork.
- Dip dough balls into egg whites, then into chopped pecans.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and press thumb into each cookie to make an impression.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Fill with teaspoon of Hershey's Spreads. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.