A while back, I was brainstorming ideas for new recipes. I decided to ask on Facebook, to see if anyone had ideas for recipes they’d like to see. There were a number of great responses, but Kerri S. mentioned White Queso Dip.
That was all it took, and my mind skipped onto this idea for White Queso Soup. I adapted the recipe for Cheese Soup to make it like the White Queso Dip we all love.
Instead of carrots and celery, I used diced green chilies. Instead of Velveeta, I used Monterey Jack.
The soup is good by itself, but a few toppings elevates it to the wonderful level. My first thought was tortilla strips from the salad dressing aisle. The store I was in didn’t have plain tortilla strips though. But these Chipotle Cheddar strips from Texas Toast were really good with the soup. They added a bit more flavor and a nice crunch. (Not a sponsored post, just sharing a product I like.)
Jim and I thought this soup would be fun as part of a Mexican soup supper. White Queso Soup, Taco Soup and maybe a Black Bean Soup. Wouldn’t that make a fun menu for a gathering? (Note to self: make Black Bean Soup soon!)
I do not have an ingredient photo for you this time. But all the ingredients are very common.
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 4 Tbs. butter
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups milk, warmed
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 4 oz can of diced green chilies
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roma tomatoes, diced for topping
- Tortilla strips for topping
- extra cheese for topping
- Melt butter in soup pot.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in warm milk until smooth and combined.
- Stir in cheese and let melt.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, until bubbly and somewhat thickened.
- Stir in chicken broth and green chilies.
- Heat thoroughly and season with salt a pepper.
- Serve with toppings, if desired.